Frederick Seitz and his cousin John Sebastian Goundie started their brewery on the banks of the Lehigh River in the middle of a wheat field in 1821, sixty-six years before Easton became a city. Goundie had been running the Monocacy brewery for the Moravian colony in Bethlehem for seventeen years. The Seitz family ran a bottling business and had malt houses in Easton and Buffalo, NY. In 1900 John Schmid became brewmaster and was famous for his Seitz Bohemian Export. Perhaps the most notable distinction of the Seitz brewery is that during Prohibition it was part of “Reading Beer Baron” Max Hassel’s chain of breweries that extended from New Jersey throughout eastern Pennsylvania. Despite this fact, the brewery managed to get a license after repeal and remained in business until 1938.